St Peter’s Church, described by Nikolaus Pevsner as "The premier architectural work in Ealing", was designed by John Dando Sedding, the architect of Holy Trinity, Sloane Street. Chosen in a competition, Sedding’s plans for the church were complimented by The Builder as “a piece of real originality in design, which is refreshing to come across after seeing so many repetitions of old forms, Classic and Gothic”. Following Sedding’s death, the church was built under the direction of his pupil and successor in practice, Henry Wilson (see www.henrywilson.eu), with the foundation stone laid in 1893 by Princess Helena, Queen Victoria's third daughter.
St Peter’s is a fusion of free Gothic style used in a highly original manner. The church is notable for its unusual sloping roof, and for the turrets flanking the great west window with its delicate tracery. In addition, the wide arches of the four-bay nave with triforium above are highly distinctive. The basic structure has been continuously added to, although as an economy measure the planned tower was not built, and much of the stained glass and other internal decoration were never completed. The effects of this financial restraint, combined with the generous interior proportions, make St Peter’s unusually light and spacious.
“St Peter’s Ealing occupies no humble position as a monument to the last great age of church building in this country” – Sir Roy Strong, Historian.